All You Need To Know About Serverless Technology.
Gone are the days, when having a website was only required (afforded) by the big players of the market. With the internet and mobile erasing all possible limitations, the first thing anyone does is research online, compare prices and then make a buying decision.
This shift in purchase dynamics made it inevitable for small and medium-sized businesses to go online. Now, the demand is created in the market, all it needs is a technology that can make building websites easy and affordable. This is where “Serverless Technology” comes into play. Before, getting into what it is and what it can do, first let us understand the word “Serverless”
What is actually “less” in Serverless?
For a website to run a server is essential, in Serverless Architecture the building and maintenance of Server are taken care by third-party.service providers So, when we say Serverless it means the businesses need not go through the hassle of maintaining the server.
The Framework of Serverless Architecture
Serverless Architecture consists of the following components
1. Application or Website: This the User Interface rendered in Java, Python, .Net Core etc., Which allows the users to interact with a simple static web server.
2. Web Server: A simple yet robust web server which can serve all the static HTML, CSS and js files of the website or app.
3. Compute Service: A computer service runs the code in response to an HTTP request. In other words, this function reads and writes the databases to provide JSON responses. This is the key enabler in serverless architecture.
4. Security Token: This will generate temporary API and Secret keys for the website users. These credentials are used to invoke the compute service to communicate with the server.
5. Authentication: This component helps in creating user sign-in and sign-up functions for the websites and applications. It also has options to authenticate users through social networking providers such as Facebook, Twitter etc.,
6. Virtual Data Centre: This is the pool of cloud infrastructure that takes care of storage and networking. It consists of physical data storage hardware and servers.
Types of Serverless Services in the Market
Based on what part of the serverless framework is handled by third party resources, the serverless services are categorized into the following.
Infrastructure as Service (IaaS): In this type of service the users will have direct access to the cloud servers and associated resources via a dashboard. The website developer can rent virtual data center and save on the cost associated with the purchase and maintaining computer servers, cloud networks, and storage. This is the most flexible cloud computing model and provides the users true control over the infrastructure and flexibility in scaling.
Platform as Service (PaaS): In this type of cloud computing service, the environment to run the code and the server maintenance is taken care by a third-party service provider. All the web developers need to do is write the code on the platform and it will run and execute the backend processes.
Function as Service (Faas): This is the most simplified form of cloud services. The developer only needs to provide the code for the application to run; all the events from there are taken care by the service provider. The FaaS service provider will offer the application framework managed by the cloud service provider.
Based on your business requirement you can choose from the various serverless services available in the market.
Serverless Technology is indeed a revolutionary idea in website building. With the help of which you can focus on building seamless websites, while the technology companies take care of the backend.